1/48 Eduard Bf109 G-6 Late Model, W.Nr. 15729, flown by Obstlt. Hermann Graf, Stab./JG11, Jever, early 1944.
This aircraft was manufactured by the Erla factory as a Bf 109G-5 high-altitude fighter, but was converted to G-6 standard later. What was typical for the G-5 and retained during the conversion was the anti-fog capsule in the windscreen. The camouflage scheme is unusual – the former camouflage including the Stab marking was oversprayed with a light grey colour, probably RLM 76. Hermann Graf commanded JG 11 from November 11, 1943 till March 29, 1944 and despite the fact that he was officially banned from flying, he managed to down seven aircraft – amounting to the final kills of his career. He is credited with 212 victories in total (the majority of which were with JG 52 and three with JGr 50). He was awarded for his successes during the war as well as after. He received Diamonds to his Ritterkreuz with Oak Leaves and Swords, the fifth recipient of this honour, on September 29, 1942. Graf participated in propaganda campaigns, and he was a member of the Luftwaffe soccer team. At the end of the war, Graf led JG 52 and retreated from East Prussia via Silesia to Bohemia and surrendered to US forces at Pisek on May 8, 1945. He was promptly handed over to the Russians and spent more than four years in Russian captivity.